Creating a dial-by-name directory
Last Updated :
A dial-by-name directory allows callers to search a site's phone users by entering a first or last name. After performing a search, the caller can route to the a phone user. You need to route to the dial-by-name directory from an IVR system. The dial-by-name directory only supports British and American English.
This article covers:
- Pro, Business, or Education account
- Account owner, admin privileges
- Zoom Phone license
Enabling dial-by-name directory
Note: You can only set up a dial-by-name directory in the main auto receptionist. If you have multiple sites, you can only set up a dial-by-name directory in the main auto receptionist of each site.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Phone System Management then Company Info.
- Follow one of these steps depending on if you have multiple sites:
- Single site: Click Account Settings at the top.
- Multiple sites: Click a site name, then click the Settings tab.
- Scroll down to the last section.
- Click the Dial by Name Directory toggle to enable it, then change these options:
Create directory base on: Select a method to create the directory, then click Manage to specify users.
Unsearchable List: Create the directory by excluding phone users from the dial-by-name directory.
Note: All other existing phone users in the site will be searchable in the dial-by-name directory. If you add users to Zoom Phone, they will be be searchable by default.
Searchable List: Create the directory by including phone users in the dial-by-name directory.
Note: All other existing phone users in the site will be unsearchable in the dial-by-name directory. If you add users to Zoom Phone, they will be unsearchable by default.
- Unsearchable List: Create the directory by excluding phone users from the dial-by-name directory.
- Search by: Specify whether callers can search for phone users' first or last name.
- Exclusion list: Exclude specific phone users from being in the dial-by-name directory, regardless of the searchable or unsearchable list you created. For example, you can use this to exclude the CEO.
Routing to a dial-by-name directory
After enabling the dial-by-name directory, you can route callers to it by assigning it to an IVR key.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal,
- In the navigation menu, click Phone System Management then Auto Receptionists.
- Click an auto receptionist that has an IVR menu.
Note: Make sure the auto receptionist is in the same site that you enabled the dial-by-name directory for.
- In the IVR Menu section, click Edit.
- Click Edit next a key and select Dial by Name.
Using a dial-by-name directory
The dial-by-name directory uses predictive text technology that only requires the caller to press one key for each letter. The system translates the numbers in to a name and searches the directory. For example, to search the name 'Grant', a caller should press 4 (GHI), 7 (PQRS), 2 (ABC), 6 (MNO), 8 (TUV).
After entering a name to search, the IVR will look for the best match and read the phone user's name and extension number. The IVR will also play an audio prompt to explain the following options:
- 1: Connect to the current search result (phone user).
- 2: Read the next phone user in the search results.
- 3: Repeat the name and extension of the current search result (phone user).
- 4: Start a new search.
Need some help from other Zoom users? Join the 70K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating with your peers and get answers to your questions.